Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Susan's Birthday

This weekend both Kansas and our daughter Susan have a birthday. The year Susan was born Kansas Day was on Sunday like this year and so most of the festivities were held on Saturday night. Then Susan appeared on the real birthday. Her father was working covering the festivities but was very available on the Sunday when she was born. We left our oldest son Steve with his father's parents and went off to the hospital. She was very cooperative and arrived in St Francis Hospital in Topeka. I always enjoy Kansas Day as the schools put on programs and I got to see how clever our grandchildren were at their schools. Kansas had been created as part of te Kansas Nebraska act where they were moving the eastern Indians west. Kansas had a time picking Topeka as its capital because Leavenworth thought they should be. In Indian language Topeka means a good place to dig potatoes which is not very glamorous but did have good potatoes. It has some very colorful history and did not just settle down and behave for we had John Brown come in and burn Lawrence and they had a time in Topeka. My father had a garage on 4th St and the location of the hall where the Kansans met was just up the alley. Susan had many nice birthday parties as she grew up for we loved to have birthday parties at our house. Now our daughter Sally came home from the hospital on Mother's Day, Scott tried to hit Fourth of July, Cindy had Thanksgiving and Steve had Halloween. Birthdays are fun but at 88 I wonder if it is time to quit and just stay 88 but maybe like my mother I will reach a 100. You do not decide that so I will wait and see. I just hope my sister Helen stays around with me so I have someone who understands me.

No comments:

Post a Comment