Saturday, March 26, 2011

Topeka

Living in a state capital has lost of interesting occasions. When I was young our governor was nominated by the Republican party to run for President, On the occasion of his nomination we had great excitement. Our cousins from Council Grove came in and Emma Lou and I tied our wrists together with a hanky so we would not get lost and we went to the state house grounds for the excitement. My husband-to-be climbed a tree and was pulled down by the police. There was much fireworks at night and cannons shooting in the daytime. However he only carried three New England states and not even Kansas. Later his youngest daughter was a senator and on Landon's 100th birthday she gave a birthday party for him and President Reagan came in for the ceremony. Ray and I were thoroughly checked in at the gate since a President was in attendance. Landon died soon after and was laid in state in the state house and buried in the Topeka Cemetery where my parents are buried. I thought it was interesting that the vice-president from Kansas was buried where my mother's twin is buried and Landon is buried at Mount Hope cemetery in Topeka where my mother is buried.

No comments:

Post a Comment