Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Agricultural Hall of Fame

In 1959 The Agricultural Hall of Fame was started. Harry Darby was busy getting it done. Historians had recommended that there be a library where they gathered technical books about farming on power machinery, fertilizer, plant and animal breeding, forestry, soil and water management. Anything Harry Darby was into Ray was interested in. President Eisenhower was for it. Harry Truman was interested. Kansas seemed a good place to locate it. A few other states wanted it but Eisenhower was able to get it in Bonner Springs. Kansas. Ray and I went out to visit it. I was shocked to see they had the same refrigerator I had at home on display. I still have it in my basement but don't know if it works anymore. It had an early American Village, an Indian village, an outdoor amphitheatre. It would cost about $1,000,000. The total cost would be $170.000. It seems in trouble now and they have changed the staff and made adjustments. I guess not enough people were that interested in going to see it or it was too far to drive to. I'm not sure but it seemed a good idea at the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment