Saturday, December 19, 2009

Bread and milk home delivery

When I was growing up in Topeka we had our milk delivered. It was delivered by a man driving a wagon. We had a carrier and it held, I think, 6 quart bottles. They were funny shaped bottles and had a small rounded top. They gave you a spoon and the top had cream. When we moved to Kansas City they still delivered milk and we had it for awhile. We also had bread delivery three times a week by Manor Bread. I liked that as our closest grocery store was a mile away and we only had one car. I liked the delivery men but the Manor Bread stropped after the delivery man fell in love with one of the customers and murdered her husband.

We have only had two murders in my neighborhood. The Manor Bread man and a nephew who was tired of waiting for his aunt to die so he could inherit her money so he sped things up a little. Both easily solved. Of course we also had the Fuller Brush Man and the man who sold flavorings and extracts like vanilla. I'm not sure of his company's name.

No comments:

Post a Comment