Friday, December 11, 2009

An extra kid for Christmas

One Christmas we had a temporary exchange student. He had been at the Lee Summit school and had gotten into an argument with the prinicpal. The school told AFS they wanted him out of the school. AfS removed him at once. We had sometimes been a temporary home for a couple of days, This was the first of December. We found him a nice young man from Germany. As the days went along they still had not placed him. They had a family interested that were Jewish. They wanted the family to check with all the family members as to if they minded a Germany boy since they were Jewish and the country of Germany had been hard on the Jews during the war. Time went by and I realized we were going to have Walter for Christmas. I went to K Mart and brought new underwear==an exciting Christmas gift but I knew his size since I did the laundry. I did not want him to watch us opening gifts and he not have any. Come Christmas morning we all opened our gifts and Walter his and he was very happy and told me he liked it. During lunch that day we got a phone call that the family was taking Walter as they had cleared it with all their relatives. He got along with his new family very well and in the High School he went to. He told me when he left it was the Best Christmas he ever had. In later years I had a visit from his sister who had come as an exchange student and she stopped by to tell us how much Walter had liked his stay.

No comments:

Post a Comment