Friday, December 25, 2009

White Christmas

I know you are supposed to love a white Christmas but I think that is for ski lodges and such for I do not remembering thinking of it as anything but a bother. This year has been bad since due to the weather we can't get together as a family. I love the Christmas dinner. The only time I can remember not caring for the meat was when my mother decided to cook a goose. It was really greasy. This year I was going to see some family I had not seen for awhile. \Maybe I would have liked it better if I had lived with a hill. Now 13th has kind of a hill but is not great for sledding. My own children did not have a great place to sled so were generally just pulled around on a sled. I remember one Christmas that Ray had a bright idea about a train track. Our house was small and he thought if he made a train board and put it on the wall of our son's room he could pull it up when not in use. Ray was not good with building things but tried. That year he built it in the basement. It was big. When my in-laws arrived for Christmas he had help. He tried putting it on the wall but that was a disaster and he ended moving it to the basement and putting it on saw horses. Later the board became the food boxes for our many camping trips. They were sturdy. The train went under the tree that year.

We have a great deal of snow this year and the streets are covered. The street in front of our house is generally cleared but you have trouble getting to it. The reason that Flint Street is clear is our neighbor's son is the Shawnee City Engineer and he cleans a path from his house--west of Quivira -- to his parents house. They are going there for Christmas dinner this year and I'm sure it will be cleared in time. However most of the streets leading to Flint are not so clear. I think the name of the song should be "The nightmare of snow on Christmas Day". That is my opinion for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment