Friday, November 13, 2009

Blue pears

When Ray and I were first married the war had not ended and apartments were hard to find. We found a duplex that had been divided into 3 apartments on each floor. We had the living room which had a fireplace and a front porch. It had a hallway through the center and a room on each side. The south side had our bed and the north side a kitchen which had a table, two chairs, and a two burner stove plate. We shared the bathroom with the two other apartments. I scrubbed the bathroom a lot. We had an icebox on the porch. I had never had an icebox since my father had invented a refrigerator so I had to learn how to get ice and such. It did not take me long to get morning chores done so I read magazines. One magazine had an article about how to spruce up your marriage. It recommended you add food coloring to fruit. I tried adding coloring to pears. Ray did not acknowledge my blue pears. I did not find out until later that he was color blind and they looked the same to him as the usual ones I served.

No comments:

Post a Comment