Saturday, November 7, 2009

Motheritis

I hope I spelled my title correctly but it means I did not like to be separated at night from my mother unless I was in my own bed. Many sleepovers I was brought home in the middle of the night by disgusted parents of friends. I gave up on them and never accepted. Finally in high school my church group was going to camp near Manhattan. My mother said she would write me everyday but would not visit on Parent's Day. I made it through but I still stayed home after I came back.

I shall give you a few of the adventures I had at camp. The food was not great. For instance they had oatmeal one day and Cream of Wheat the next day. On the third day they dumped what was left together. We were hungry a lot and we made peanut butter sandwiches. One night we were very thirsty. I was the only one still dressed so I went after the water. When I got to the dining room they were getting ready to blow taps. I ran across to the water jug and turned on the faucet. Pretty soon there were two feet--women's (the headmaster's wife). She asked what the water was for. As I crossed the mess hall floor I spilled the water. One pajama leg came unrolled.(That is what saved my life.) The bugler was laughing so hard he could not play taps.

No comments:

Post a Comment