Tuesday, November 3, 2009

USO Hostess

World War 2 started when I was a freshman in college and everything changed. Most of the men left the campus and we had the air force and navy at Washburn. My sister, Helen, along with my friend Mary Jane decided to become USO hostesses. We were interviewed at the YMCA. We were told the rules, like you dance with anyone who asks you, you wear proper clothing. If you don't they would send you home and you didn't come back. Dances were held at the YMCA in the gym. If you minded all the rules, once a month you were eligible to wear a formal and attend the dance in the Municipal Auditorium. The soldiers were mostly from Fort Riley at first. They were Calvary men and wore big boots. I guess they rode horses but I can't think they had horses during World War 2 in Europe or Asia. As time went by the Topeka Air Base had soldiers and Winter Hospital. When they had a dance at the Topeka Air Base you rode out to the Air Base in a canvas covered truck which was a little cool in the winter time. You did not dance there as most of the soldiers were just back from the front and you were to talk to them. They mostly just stared at you. They were just glad to be back in the USA. The hospital mostly stared also. At school you could tell when the seasons changed as they changed outfits. I had to learn to keep my seat and not stand up when they did to salute the teacher. I played a lot of pool and could beat them most of the time which surprised them but they looked sad so I quit that and let them win. At the monthly dance the buses in Topeka stopped before the dance did. You were not allowed to leave the dance until it was done. One time my mother would pick us up and the next time Mary Jane's dad would pick us up. The next day the buses were running so you could get home. I loved Mary Jane's house as she lived beside the Santa Fe tracks and had engines going by all the time. I generally sat up straight in bed as they woke me as our neighborhood was kind of quiet. I don't know if we helped the soldiers much but we tried. Some of the hostesses made dates for later but I only tried it once to go bowling and it was a disaster. I think we went bowling. Going to movies and bowling were Topeka's big activities for social life.

No comments:

Post a Comment