Friday, November 27, 2009

First permanent

When my sister Ethel was married they decided something should be done with my hair. It was naturally straight. They gave me a home permanent. They had just come on the market. I looked lovely for her wedding and the permanent stayed until I washed my hair. Later I went to a Beauty Shop and endured the rolling up of hair on a machine. I know the beauty shop was on the second floor and they sat me by a window. The building was old and I was sure would catch on fire while I was hooked up to the machine. They timed the minutes. It was always great relief when they took the curlers out. Then they washed my hair again and I set under a dryer for a long time. It seemed like forever and although I liked the person doing it I always hated it and did not see why I could not have had naturally curly hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment