Monday, November 23, 2009

My Grandmother Burkhardt and her resting place

My Grandmother Burkhardt lived in Scranton, Kansas. It was named that because there are many soft coal mines around which I investigated when I was growing up with my cousin Lorraine. My grandmother never remembered my name and I was always "Edgar's kid". When she died she was buried in a cemetery along Highway 75. On the Memorial Day after her death we went to the cemetery south of Scranton to lay flowers on her grave. My dad was shocked when we got there as she was buried by the wrong Burkhardt. I do not remember who it was but it was not my grandfather. My dad made arrangements to have her buried by the right husband. I bet she had not rested in peace until then. I remember my grandfather as he was the only one I had. My other grandfather had died in, I think, 1911 and was buried as the second person in Topeka's Mount Hope Cemetery. I think my grandfather Burkhart's name was Joseph and he always was very kind to me and knew my name. He also knew I was Edgar's kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment