Wednesday, September 16, 2009

My first date with Ray

When I was in high school and a Junior I met my future husband Ray in Journalism class where he was a senior and the editor of the school paper--The World. He did not have a high opinion of my writing ability which he had no problem expressing so he assigned me to the news from the girl's gym. During my high school career I also saw him in a school play, which he did very well. I did not tell him so as he rarely spoke to me. Later when we were in college we had the same history professor, Dr. Bright. Dr. Bright also was in charge of the youth program at Central Church. In my freshman year he and his wife planned a Halloween party and they divided us into couples and I got Ray. He was an hour late and was not pleased to see who he had drawn for a date. The professor was with him driving as I did not teach Ray how to drive until later. I had had a birthday and received some lovely fur mittens which I wore as October is cold. They made him sneeze. My girlfiends were all at this party also and we all belonged to the same sorority, which had dances you had to ask boys to. We were all cowards as we were not popular and had not been asked out often, if ever. So we had three boys we would ask to sorority parties of which Ray was one. But we were too much of a coward to call them so we all pretended to be someone else and asked the boys. I know only three months later I was asked out by Ray to attend Topeka's blackout as I have pictures to show it so guess he finally weakened. He was president of Independent men at that time. He later pledge Phi Delta Theta. Dr. Bright always accused me of doing Ray's history assignments but I only did his maps for him as he was color blind and did not do them correctly.

No comments:

Post a Comment