Tuesday, September 22, 2009

The wrestling matches

When my husband Ray and I were dating between when I taught school and we were married there was one activity he could take me along. In Topeka every Wednesday night in the Municipal Auditorium they had wrestling matches. He would pick me up and we would attend. He would put me in a seat in the front row (not a good seat at a wrestling match) and go sit at the press table. It was not long before the wrestlers knew I was there so at least once an evening they threw someone into my lap but I learned early to move fast so I never got one in my lap but there were some close calls. I found out during the time I attended that they already knew who was going to win every bout. I also learned that the tape on their faces was so they could sratch it and get blood looking color on their face. It was just sort of like adhesive tape they could scratch with their nails. I do not watch the ones on TV but wonder if it is arranged ahead as to who wins. I bet it isn't. In Topeka we did not have that many rules but don't think any fighter was ever seriously hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment