Monday, September 7, 2009

Our children's names

I have five wonderful children. Four of them have names starting with the letter "S" and the fifth has an S sound. When we found we were going to have a baby we thought about names. I always liked the name David as I had never met a David I did not like but the Society editor at the "Topeka Daily Capital" told me that everyone was naming their son David. I had been reading the "Foxes of Harrow" and the hero was named Steve so I switched to that. However when I got to the hospital which was not huge I found they had six Steve's born including my roommate. However, it was set so the next one became Mary Susan and was always called Susan, The third one was Sally. I was going to name the fourth Sarah but again the Society editor told me that was a nickname for Sally. There was a song that was popular at the time called "Cindy Lou" so we decided on that as it had the same nice sound like S and then the fifth one was Scott. Both the boys got part of their father's name for middle names so that added Ray and Ellingwood to their names. Susan had my first names but we never used the Grace until Scott and Kathleen were kind enough to name their youngester daughter Grace. There is no way you can work Burkhardt into anything so we quit. I forgot Burkhardt is Kelly's middle name. As she is Kelly Burkhardt Morgan so she and Grace saved our names.

No comments:

Post a Comment