Thursday, September 24, 2009

A teacher who did not like room mothers

My sister, Helen, taught first grade. The age you could attend was decided by how old you were on January 1. She thought it should be September 1. At that time Ray was covering the legislature and He convinced Sen. Jim Pearson to make a law that it would be September 1. That seemed a good idea by the legislature but both Jim and Ray had daughters who would turn the correct age later so Jim wrote the law so that it would advance one month earlier every year until it reached September 1. That way his daughter and ours whose birthdays were the end of November could go to school. Cindy was so excited she could not understand why they did not go seven days a week. She had a very pretty kindergarten teacher. During Christmas vacation the teacher went to Hawaii and got married so Cindy had a different teacher. The new teacher liked the children but did not like parents and especially roommothers of which I was one. The principal, Mr. Walden, met me at the crosswalk outside of school one day to tell me this news. He said she especially did not like roommothers who attended holiday parties. I liked that as I was one. So for the rest of the year we delivered the goodies for refreshments and did not attend the parties. It was the easiest year I had as a room mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment