Sunday, September 6, 2009

The Thing In the Forest

Our grandchildren in Wichita went to OK School in western Wichita and their school had lots of talent. They had a couple of talanted teachers who could write plays for children. All four Thompson children had the same teacher for kindergarten. In the spring, on Valentine's Day, she put on a play called "The Thing in the Forest" and invited the grandparents. When we arrived we sat with our grandchild until time for the performance. The Thompson children always had two sets of grandparents so Ray and I were rented out. The play was called "The Thing in the Forest" and every child had one line. After the fourth child, Chris, was in it she gave me a copy of the play which I still have. It is on my desk in the den but I can't get to it in my wheelchair so will just try to remember correctly. Each child said their one line perfectly every time so each was a "Star". After the performance we had refreshments and they opened their valentines. Since Ray and I were always given a child who's grandparents were not there we met some delightful children. We helped them open their valentines. I remember one year I started out the door with the sack and the child had to chase me to get his valentines. The first time we went we had to fly to Wichita because Ray was not feeling well enough to drive and the weather was bad. For some reason I had two sets of pillows that belonged to the Thompsons and took them as luggage when Debbie was in it. I think Susan played the
piano for the songs they sang. Our four grandchildren, Debbie, Erin, Drew and Chris
were great and the stars of the show for four of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment